Notice: All below support documentation is in reference to the new Experience 4 user experience upgrade. If you have not yet updated your box to Experience 4. Please follow the steps provided on the following document:
Note: Your box will automatically upgrade to Experience 4 on January 15th, 2019.
Below you will find the most frequently asked questions regarding Westman TiVo Service.
Download The TiVo VU-IT! App (Android or Apple)
TiVo Quick Guide
TiVo FAQ (All the Questions and Answers below in a single document)
Westman's YouTube Channel (Contains Helpful TiVo Support Videos)
TiVo is the world’s most revolutionary and ingenious DVR! TiVo integrates the function of your cable box with a streaming web hub allowing you to connect to web-based apps and access tons of movies right from your TV. TiVo brings your most loved entertainment into one unified place. Imagine live TV, VU-IT! On Demand content and your favourite apps easily accessible for you to search and explore! With TiVo, you’ll never miss your favourite shows again. TiVo puts you in control with some cool features you may not see anywhere else such as instant replay and slow motions.
What is the size of the hard drives for TiVo Pace DVRs?
- The size of the hard drive is 1 Terabyte (TB).
How many shows/hours does that equate to?
- Up to 150 HD hours or up to 1000 SD hours depending on the bit rate of the shows being recorded.
How many shows can I record at once?
- Up to 6 shows
|1||Panel display||LED clock|
|2||Remote LED||Displays green for remote control activity|
|3||Data LED||Displays amber when downloads or transfers are taking place|
|4||Record LED||Displays red when a recording is being made|
|5||Power LED||Green = Power On. Note: The physical Power button currently has no functionality|
We need to ensure your Internet connection is fast, reliable and secure. By providing that connection, we’ll be able to offer a better quality and experience to satisfy you. We will also be able to diagnose and provide a timely resolution to any problem that might occur. Plus your Video On Demand content through VU-IT! is Internet-based, so you need our Internet for it to work.
TiVo Home is the starting point or home-base from which you can access any and everything. Press the TiVo button on your remote to access TiVo Home.
What are some functions I can access from TiVo Home?
- My Shows
- What to Watch
- VU-IT! On Demand
- Menu / Manage
The Discovery Bar is the bar of images across the top of the TiVo Central screen and many other TiVo menu screens. What you’ll see in the Discovery Bar depends on your viewing habits. Often, the Discovery Bar displays ideas for shows you might like based on what shows you record and mark as your favorites. For example, if you record the show “Game of Thrones”, the Discovery Bar might display thumbnails for other shows, like “Vikings.” It all depends on what you’re interested in and what’s available to you. The Discovery Bar also displays lots of other great viewing options: popular shows or sports events that are playing on live TV, items from your My Shows list, TiVo Suggestions, new VU-IT! On Demand shows, and more!
Press the Up arrow to move up to the Discovery Bar, then the Left and Right arrows to move around. Press the Select button on an image that interests you to open an information screen about that item.
What can I personalize on the Discovery Bar?
Customers can indicate the types of things they'd like to see in the discovery bar. For instance, you'll be able to tell your TiVo Pace DVR that you'd like to see more movies, and less TV shows in the bar, or more free content and less pay content.
To customize what appears in the Discovery Bar:
Press TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings, > Displays > Customize Discovery Bar.
How does the TiVo service choose what is on the Discovery Bar?
When searching or browsing, the discovery bar will populate content that is relevant to what the user is searching for. If a user is not searching or browsing, the bar recommends content popular with other TiVo subscribers or chosen by the TiVo editorial team as a highlight for that week. The TiVo service tries to present the best matches for what you're looking for, allowing you to discover new and interesting things to watch.
This lists all the shows that are recorded by your TiVo DVR including downloaded shows. You may highlight any title from My Shows (even a show that’s being recorded) and press Play to view the show from the beginning or to resume playing where you left off.
Shows are organized into folders, and a number in parentheses to the right of each folder shows how many recordings it contains. In addition to folders for each OnePass you’ve created, you’ll also see the following folders:
- TiVo Suggestions - if you have auto-recording of Suggestions turned on, any recorded Suggestions appear here.
- WishList® searches - if your WishList searches are set to auto-record, any matches will be added to a WishList folder.
- Currently Unavailable - contains links to streaming videos that are not currently available from any of your video providers. When items become available, they will be moved to the appropriate My Shows category.
- Recently Deleted Recordings - contains recently deleted recordings that are available for recovery.
« What to Watch Now », sorts through all of your channels and video provider offerings to show you a list of what’s available right now. You can choose from Popular live TV shows, live Sports events, Movies, and Kids.
Select « What to Watch Now » to get started. (You can also select « What to Watch Now » from your My Shows list.)
To Do List
On your TiVo DVR, the To Do List shows all your scheduled recordings and lets you change recording options or cancel recordings. The OnePass Manager prioritizes all your repeating recordings and lets you manage conflicts and set options.
How do I use the To Do List?
To view the To Do List, from the TiVo Central screen: Choose, « Manage Recordings » & OnePass, then « To Do List ».
You’ll see a list of all shows scheduled to record in the next two weeks or so. Highlight any show and press the Select button to see available options.
A OnePass search gathers every episode of a series available anywhere and adds them right to your My Shows list to watch instantly. If an episode isn’t available on TV or VU-IT! On Demand, OnePass fills in the gaps with episodes from streaming video providers like Netflix, if available there.
To create a OnePass search, find a series you want to watch, then Choose « Create a OnePass ». A OnePass folder for the series will be instantly created in My Shows and all available episodes will be added.
- To learn more about sorting and filtering a OnePass in My Shows, see Sorting and Filtering Shows.
How do I set up a recording manually
- TiVo Central>>Manage Recordings & OnePass>>Set Up a Manual Recording
How do schedule a recording by Time?
- TiVo Central>>Manage Recordings & OnePass>> Find by Time>>Enter Time
How do schedule a recording by Channel Number?
- TiVo Central>>Manage Recordings & OnePass>> Find by Channel>> Search channel
Yes. When you create a OnePass, you can choose options that will give you exactly the results you want. Just highlight « Create a OnePass », then press the Right arrow and select « Options ». You can also change the options of any existing OnePass by going to the OnePass Manager. See Using the OnePass Manager for more information.
<Include -Choose to include recordings, streaming and on-demand videos (from sources like Westman On Demand and Netflix), or both in your OnePass results. Including streaming and on-demand videos in your OnePass will give you the best results, and streaming videos don’t take up any disk space!
Want to watch from the beginning? Choose Season 1. Just need to catch up?Choose a different season. Only want new episodes? Choose « New episodes only ».
Rent or buy
Decide whether to include episodes that need to be rented or purchased before viewing. (The TiVo Service from Westman will not rent or purchase the items for you; you will have the option to rent or purchase them at the time of viewing.) If your OnePass includes recordings, the following options are also available:
Skip reruns or watch them all? Choose « New » to avoid reruns, or « New & Repeat » to get new episode plus repeats or <>.
Choose the channel on which to record the show, when more than one channel is available.
Get in HD
When you set the « Channel » setting (above) to « All », you can choose how often to get the HD version of a show: always, never, or if possible. Note that if you choose « always » and a show is not available in HD, it won’t be recorded. Likewise, if you choose « never » and a show is only available in HD, it won’t be recorded.
Keep At Most
Set the maximum number of recordings to be saved.
Choose how long to keep a recording (or each episode of a repeating recording). « Space needed » is the default setting, or choose « Until I delete » and your TiVo box won’t delete this episode to record something new.
Start recording up to ten minutes before a show is scheduled to begin. (This option is available only before recording starts.)
You can cancel the recording of any episode in a OnePass by highlighting the title in the To Do List and pressing the Clear button You can delete the entire OnePass or change its options using the OnePass Manager (see Using the OnePass Manager for more info).
- You need to download the free VU-IT! App for iOS or android devices through apple store, play store or vu-it.tv
- Launch VU-IT! app - vu-it.tv
- Login with your wcgwave.ca account
- Don’t have a wcgwave account; call 204.725.4300 or 1.800.665.3337 ext. 2502.
- Once your account is verified, the app will open to the ‘What to Watch’ screen.
- To stream Live TV* or download a show to your device you must be on your home network.
- Yes, you can stream a live* show on to your device, however the show will be couple of seconds behind and it will automatically start a recording to your TiVo box.
- To download a show to your device, you must be on your home network
TiVo Pace users will be able to access content on their home DVR via android devices and compatible iOS devices. You must download the free VU-IT! App for iOS and android devices called vu-it.tv in the app store.
Due to the copy protection assigned by the content provider, not all content can be downloaded to your mobile device for offline viewing.
Can I do this on other devices?
Watch live TV
Watch recordings from my TiVo DVR
Download recordings to my iOS or android device
Watch recordings already downloaded to my iOS or android device
Yes, you can download recordings to your iOS or android device in the home using your home network so that you can take them with you.
You can stream any TiVo recording within the home, including regular and some premium content. Due to Federal Communication Commission (FCC) copyright regulations, some premium content may be marked as “copy once” and therefore cannot be downloaded to the mobile device. Those shows will be marked with a red slash icon.
No, not at this time. Due to the copy protection assigned by the content provider, not all content can be downloaded to your mobile device for offline viewing, and not all content can be streamed when you are away from your local network.
Yes, you can watch a show on a mobile device as it is recording. Using the Record and Watch button on the VU-IT! app is the easiest way to start watching immediately; it automatically starts a recording and immediately plays it back on your mobile device in one-step.
Yes, you can watch close to Live TV by streaming a show that is currently recording. Use the Record and Watch button on the app; it automatically starts a recording and immediately plays it back on your mobile device in one-step.
No, you cannot.
Multi-Room Streaming means that you can watch recorded shows instantly on another networked TiVo Pace DVR or TiVo Pace Mini in your home. Access your My Shows list on your DVR in the bedroom, click “Play” and start watching shows on your DVR in the living room. No waiting for downloads or transfers!
No. Currently, streaming web-based apps through TiVo does not recognize the TiVo DVR’s parental controls. Therefore, it is possible for a minor to stream a show from a TiVo DVR that was restricted by parental controls. It is up to adults to monitor a child’s viewing of TiVo recordings on iOS or android devices just as they would for any Internet video content. We recommend putting a password on the iOS or android device itself.
Yes. To temporarily hide the Video Window, press the Slow button Press Slow again to restore the Video Window.
If you’d rather permanently turn off the Video Window, from the TiVo Central screen select « Settings & Messages », then « Settings », then « Displays », then « Video Window ».
Can I pause the video window while I’m searching?
- You can press the Pause button on your TiVo remote to pause what’s playing in the Video Window, and press Pause again to resume playing.
How do I return to full screen from the video Window?
- Press zoom button on your remote
How do I know the available space I have for recording?
- A small bar underneath the words “My Shows” on the My Shows screen lets you know how much space you have available for new recordings on your TiVo DVR. If you don’t want to see the amount of space used, press the button and choose the option to turn it off.
You can view My Shows either alphabetically by title (from A to Z) or by date added. Press the B button to change how the list is sorted. Press it again to switch back.
When viewing a OnePass folder, press the B button to sort by season, date, or newest to oldest. Press the C button to filter your OnePass views:
- My episodes Displays only episodes that match your OnePass options. For example, if you set up your OnePass to start at Season 3 and exclude episodes that require purchase to view, only free episodes from Season 3 onward will be displayed. You can watch or delete shows from this view.
- All episodes Displays all episodes, regardless of your OnePass options. For example, even if your OnePass starts at Season 3 and excludes episodes that require purchase to view, this view will display all episodes in the series. You can watch episodes from this list, but you can’t delete them.
- Recordings Displays only recordings included in your OnePass. This view can be helpful if you are trying to manage disk space.
Are their parental controls for TiVo?
Yes. With TiVo there are parental controls to help you make sure your family has access to only those shows you want them to watch. You can set limits on movie and television ratings, lock specific channels, and prevent viewing of recorded shows that violate the settings you choose.
Will there be parental controls similar to TiVo’s interface for streaming app content?
No. Currently, TiVo Stream does not recognize the TiVo DVR’s parental controls; it is possible to stream a show from a TiVo DVR that has been restricted by parental controls. It is up to adults to monitor a child’s viewing of TiVo recordings on devices just as they would for any internet video content. We recommend putting as password on the device itself.
Yes. You can enjoy both HD and SD programming in a crisp viewing experience.
On a TiVo DVR, a WishList search finds shows that match your search criteria on any channel you receive — and it keeps on searching for as long as you keep the WishList search. You can search for something specific by creating a WishList search with multiple criteria: for instance, you might create a WishList search for actor Al Pacino, category Movies, and sub-category Action. This WishList search would find action movies starring Al Pacino.
You can even use WishList searches to find something very specific. For example, the Keyword JETS with category Hockey would find Winnipeg Jets hockey games, but not movies or TV shows about jet airplanes.
If you choose to auto-record matches to your WishList search, you’ll find any recorded matches in your ‘My Shows’ list. WishList recordings are marked with a star:
How do I create a WishList search?
- On a TiVo DVR, from the TiVo Central screen, choose « Find TV, Movies, & Videos », then « WishList Searches ».
- Select « Create a new WishList Search ».
- Next, start choosing criteria for your WishList search. You can choose any or all of the following:
- Keyword Search for shows with specific words in the show or episode title, description, actor, director, year, or category.
- Title Keyword Search for shows with specific words in the show or episode title.
- Actor Search for shows with your favourite actor.
- Director Search for shows by a specific director.
- Category Search for specific categories and sub-categories of shows (for example, action movies or nature documentaries).
4. After entering your initial search criteria, you’ll return to the Create WishList Search screen. Continue adding as many search criteria to your WishList search as you like. For instance, you could create a WishList search like this:
- Keyword: Pirate
- Actor: Johnny Depp
- Category: Movies
Your results would include only pirate movies starring Johnny Depp.
5. The TiVo Service from Cogeco automatically assigns a name to your WishList search. To assign a different name, select « WishList Name ».
6. When you’re finished entering search criteria, select « Done creating this WishList Search ».
After you’ve created the WishList search, your DVR will automatically record any shows matching your search, unless you decide to turn the auto-recording feature off. Each auto- recording WishList Search and its upcoming recordings are marked with a double check in the To Do List and the OnePass Manager.
When you’re watching a show as it is being broadcast, you’re watching live TV. Press the Live TV button once to go to live TV from any TiVo menu screen.
Note: If you press the Live TV button more than once it will switch tuners.
Moving around in time
1. First, press the Pause button. You can pause live TV for up to 30 minutes. After that, playback resumes.
When you pause live TV, you see a status bar showing a one-hour period. The green segment shows the portion of the hour that has been saved by your TiVo DVR. The white line marks your current point in time. When the white line is back in the green segment, you’re “behind" » live TV.
2. Press the Play button to continue watching the show. Next, press the Rewind button and the show rewinds. Press Rewind a second time to rewind faster, and a third time to go even faster. Press Play at any time to return to normal speed.
3. Press Pause again, and, with the show paused, press the Fast Forward button to move a small step forward. Press Rewind to move a small step back. Press Play to resume watching at normal speed.
4. Press the Replay button ®. The show jumps back 8 seconds — useful for when you miss a great sports play or a bit of dialogue, or for when you fast forward too far.
5. Press Replay again, then immediately press the Slow button to see your own slow motion replay.
6. Press the Advance button. You’ll instantly move forward 30 seconds.
7. Press and hold the Advance button and presto! You’re caught up to live TV.
8. Press Fast Forward button and Advance button to Skip to Tick.
Press the green thumbs up button or red thumbs down button.
TiVo Suggestions uses these ratings to create a list of shows you might like. The more shows you rate over time, the better TiVo Suggestions will get at finding interesting shows for you.
Yes. When your TiVo DVR has available space, it automatically records TiVo Suggestions. But you don’t ever need to worry about recorded Suggestions taking up space — here’s why:
- TiVo Suggestions never replace shows you record, or prevent your shows from being recorded.
- TiVo Suggestions are always the first shows deleted to make room for your recordings.
Yes. From the TiVo Central screen choose « Settings & Messages », then « Settings », then « Recording », then « TiVo Suggestions ». On the TiVo Suggestions screen, choose « No, don’t record TiVo Suggestions ». You can still see the TiVo Suggestions list and choose to record individual shows.
Yes, you can watch a show as it is being recorded; you can also watch any show from the My Shows list while other shows are being recorded.
- The TiVo Service from Westman includes smart scheduling features that track not only how much space you currently have on your TiVo DVR, but also how much space will be needed in the near future to record all the shows you have scheduled. If your TiVo DVR will be full in the near future, the TiVo Service from Westman informs you and suggests options — such as allowing some shows to be deleted early — that will allow you to schedule additional recordings. With the TiVo Service from Westman, you always have the final say over what gets recorded and how long it’s kept.
- The amount of recording space the TiVo DVR needs varies from channel to channel and from show to show. In general, the more action you see on your screen, such as in fast-moving sports or action movies, the more recording space is required. High-definition shows take up much more space than standard-definition shows.
- If the TiVo Service from Westman detects that a recording you’re setting up is of a live show (like a sporting event or an awards show) you’ll see a message asking whether you’d like to add more time at the end of the recording, just in case it goes into overtime.
- If you are watching a show while it’s being recorded, you can add extra recording time from the Recording Options screen.
- To open Recording Options, select the show from your My Shows List, then choose
- « Modify recording », « Recording options », then choose the amount of time you wish to add by selecting the « stop recording » option.
- Create an auto-recording WishList search for shows that are not yet listed in the guide.
- To Create a WishList search, Go to TiVo Central>>, then Find TV, Movies, & Videos, » then WishList Searches »
- If you know the date, time, and channel on which the show will air, you can create a manual recording to record it. To create a manual recording, from TiVo Central choose, Manage Recordings & OnePass, then Set Up a Manual Recording.
Letterbox bars (at the top and bottom) and side bars may be added to a show by the broadcaster, by your TiVo DVR or your TiVo Mini, or by your TV. In some cases, it may be difficult to determine the source of the bars in order to determine how to eliminate them.
- Set the TiVo DVR or TiVo Mini’s Letterbox Colour to grey. From TiVo Central>> « Settings & Messages », select « Settings », then « Video », then « Letterbox Colour ».
- Since most broadcasters add black bars, making the TiVo DVR or TiVo Mini bars grey will help you determine the source of the bars.
- Make sure your TV Aspect Ratio is set correctly. From >> TiVo Cental « Settings & Messages », select « Settings », then « Video », then « TV Aspect Ratio ».
- Check your TV’s owner’s manual for information about how it may be adding letterbox or side bars to the picture.
QuickMode lets you watch a show 30% faster, while letting you hear what everyone is saying. QuickMode is available while you’re watching a recorded show, or if you’re “behind” live TV (for instance, if you have rewound a show that’s airing live).
Here’s how to use it:
- While watching a recorded show, press the PLAY button on your remote to bring up the status bar.
- Press SELECT to start QuickMode.
- When you’re finished watching in QuickMode, press SELECT again to resume watching at normal speed.
Your TiVo DVR and your TiVo Mini have access to thousands of the latest hit shows and movies!
Whenever you search for a show, available VU-IT! On Demand shows are included in the results. It’s just that easy to find the shows you want.
Press TiVo Central >>Browse, TV, Movies>> VU-IT! On Demand
- On the main VU-IT! On Demand page, you’ll see a list of categories (like « My Rentals » or « Films ») to choose from. Highlight the category you wish to browse and press the Select button.
- If you are offered sub-categories, choose a sub-category and press Select.
- A list of available videos is displayed. You’ll see the rental price, and when you highlight the video, you’ll see a brief description in the right column.
- Once you've located a video you want, highlight it and press Select. This will bring you to a screen that gives you more details on the video and, in many cases, allows you to watch a free preview.
- If the video is free, the information screen will have an option to "Play". Select "Play" to start the video.
- If the video must be rented to view it, the information screen will have an option to "Rent & watch now" (the price will be listed). Select "Rent & watch now" to order the video. You will be asked to confirm your purchase by pressing the Thumbs Up button
Parental Controls help you make sure your family has access to only those shows you want them to watch. Set limits on movie and television ratings, lock specific channels, and prevent viewing of recorded shows that violate the settings you choose.
From the TiVo Central screen, choose « Settings & Messages », then « Settings », then « Parental Controls ». (Or, select the padlock icon from the large info banner.) The padlock icon in the info banner shows the current state of Parental Controls.
Off No password or controls are set. The icon is dim and unlocked.
On Password and controls are set. The icon is bright and locked.
Temporarily Off Controls are set but turned off. The icon is bright and unlocked.
Changing Parental Controls settings
Once Parental Controls are on, you must enter your Parental Controls password to change any Parental Controls settings or turn off Parental Control.
Rating settings: Set rating limits for shows, and choose how to handle unrated content.
- Rating limit- Ratings shaded in green are not locked; ratings in red are locked. Use the Up/Down arrows to adjust which ratings are locked.
- Block unrated- Some shows are unrated. Use this setting to block all unrated shows.
Hide Adult Content: Use this setting to hide adult channels and shows. When this setting is turned on, adult content will be hidden in searches, in WishLists, or when browsing; all adult content in My Shows and the guide will be hidden, as well as the adult category in VU-IT! On Demand.
You will need to enter your Parental Controls PIN to watch or record a show on an adult channel.
Channel locks:When a channel is locked, the Parental Controls password must be entered to view the channel. You can lock specific channels, or all channels.
How do I change my PIN number?
- Enter a new PIN, then re-enter the new PIN to confirm.
How do I turn on Parental Control?
- Use the number buttons on your TiVo remote to enter a four- digit password, then enter the same password again for confirmation.
How do I turn off Parental Controls?
- Enter the password, and press the Select button . When Parental Controls are off, the password is deleted and anyone can view any shows or watch any channels.
The on-screen program guide displays up to two weeks of TV programming at the touch of a button — the Guide button on your TiVo remote. You can choose to display the guide as a grid, or use the TiVo Live Guide (pictured below). When you’re viewing the guide, press the A button to display Guide Options and choose the view you want. The mini-guide is a smaller version of the program guide. It shows you what’s coming up on the channel you’re watching and the next two channels. Press the Select button while watching live TV to bring up the mini-guide.
- Press the Fast Forward button to move the displayed time ahead one half-hour at a time, or press the Rewind button to move it backward.
- Press the Advance button to jump 24 hours ahead, or the Replay button to jump 24 hours back.
- Press Select on a show in progress, and the channel changes to that show. Press the Rec button to record it.
- Press Select on an upcoming show, and you’ll see a screen with options. Set up your OnePass or press the Left arrow to go back to the guide.
- Don’t see what you’re looking for? Press the Enter button while viewing the full program guide to jump directly to the Search screen.
Yes. You can use the Guide Options screen (press the A button) to choose which channels to display in the guide. Press TiVo Central>>Settings & Messages>>Settings>>Channels >> uncheck the channels you don’t want to see in your guide
To cancel a recording, just highlight the show title on the To Do List and press the Clear button
Choose « History » if you’re curious why a particular show or episode was not recorded, why it’s not scheduled to record, or when it was deleted from your My Shows list. The Recording History is organized by date; use the Up/Down arrows to browse the shows in the list. Select the show’s title for more information about it.
Yes. TiVo Central>>Manage Recordings & OnePass>>History>> select the show>>recover
This feature is not fully enabled at this time. You’ll need to contact customer service or technical support to authorize the payment. Please call 204-725-4300 or 1.800.665.3337
Yes, Find a video on either "YouTube" or "YouTube Kids" App and click on the Cast button. You'll see the name of your TiVo on the list. Pick it, and the video starts playing on your TiVo. Please remember to cast you need to be on the same network as your TiVo.
First, you must do a global reset.
To perform a global reset of your remote control:
- 1. Cover the end of the TiVo remote control with your hand.
- 2. Press the TiVo button and the TV Power button simultaneously until the light at the end of the remote comes on.
- 3. Press Thumbs Down 3 times, followed by Enter. The remote light should go out.
- Once this is complete, From the Home screen, choose the menu icon, then choose Settings > Remote, CableCARD & Devices (Remote & Devices on Mini) > Remote Control Setup > Remote Control Pairing and follow the on-screen instructions. Program the buttons on your remote. The power, volume, mute, and input buttons can be programmed to control your TV and A/V receiver (or sound bar). • From the Home screen, choose >Settings > Remote, CableCARD & Devices (Remote & Devices on Mini) > Remote Control Setup and follow the onscreen instructions.
No there is no caller ID display on your TiVo box like PRISM/Arris